There are no Rules of Architecture for a Castle in the Clouds...

To those of you who have braved Blogger long enough to venture beyond the Blog Title - then Welcome!


I'm Wytchy. In my head I live a frugal but fulfilling existence in a dainty cottage, the likes of which would grace the hallowed pages of Country Living. There's a cauldron of soup simmering fragrantly on the hearth, packed with vegetables plucked from my slug and caterpillar-free vegetable patch this very morning and freshly baked bread wrapped in a red and white gingham cloth on the table.


In reality? What's that then? (The slug and caterpillar-free vegetable patch gave me away didn't it?!)

Come in my pretties, and sit awhile...



Sunday 14 September 2008

A Strange Day (Food Mention - sorry LL'ers!)


Day 11 on the LL programme and I am not a happy bunny today.


I'm cranky, tearful and fed up and it's all food related.


September is my favourite month of the year - I love all the fresh produce which comes into season at this time of year. I'm usually in earth goddess mode now; making bakes and stews and casseroles with autumnal fruits and veggies, looking forward to hot jacket potatoes, swede and mash and the like. It struck me this morning when shopping that this year I won't have that pleasure and it's depressed me all day to be honest.


Up until now I've coasted through this programme with a pretty blase attitude so I suppose it was bound to pop up and bite me on the bum at some time or other. It's also made me realise that you simply can't brush all this food angst under the carpet. The angel on my shoulder is patting my head, telling me that it's fine and that this abstinence is just for ONE short season, that I have to be strong, have to make this sacrifice in order to get to where I want to be.


That's all very well and good until the devil on the other shoulder is telling me how many colourful, hot, nutritious and tasty meals I'm missing out on and perhaps if I just made a pact with myself and stuck to the vegetables that I truly adore and nothing else - then I'd lose weight anyway.


It's so very difficult.



Another thing that threw me off kilter today was the preparation of my little boy's pre-birthday tea. Little hot savoury picky bits - nothing majorly horrific cals wise - but so, soooooooooo gorgeous smelling that it made me feel weak with longing. Then I totally ruined the moment by watching the other three members of my family fall upon the mini feast with whoops of joy by running upstairs in floods of tears. I just couldn't cope with it and felt totally excluded - imagine how that felt.


I feel slightly embarrassed by having admitted to this but I suppose it's cathartic in a way.



Sorry this post has been a bit of a downer after all my positives. I suppose it had to happen at some point and I suppose it's part of the journey.





2 comments:

Me said...

((Wytchy)) I am in mourning for autumn foods too! I hope you feel better soon.

Me said...

Yes me again - bad luck ;) Many congrats to you on still doing all the cooking. I have enough problems smelling my housemate's food, and it's garbage!